Prima Strings is YOBC’s entry-level string ensemble, geared toward elementary students.
Requires approximately 1 year of private lessons.
- Proficient in positioning the instrument and bow.
- Ability to identifying fingerings and note names for the pitches on the staff.
- Comfortable with meters including 4/4, 3/4, and 2/4
- Proficiency in first position including accidentals (eg: high/low 2, High 3, low 1 and 4th finger)
- *Familiarity with common note values including whole, half, quarter, eighth, and sixteenth.
*Dotted rhythms may be found in repertoire but are not considered a prerequisite
- Slurred and separate bows. May include double-up or double-down bows.
- 2 scales at any tempo which represent your current level of playing
- Two short pieces from student’s current or recently completed study.